Sunday 29 October 2017

Why I Love The Nightmare Before Christmas

Heyo!

I've put off today's post again because I have been so busy and felt like garbage because I went out last night and drank a bit too much, so I have taken today easy and given myself a bit of time to relax. I am so close to the end of Blogtober, and in all honesty that's the only reason I'm even doing a post today, if this were halfway in October I would throw in the towel because I am so tired and stressed and down it's ridiculous. But, here I am, and here I shall blog!

Image credit: http://www.thewriteteachers.com/?p=13274

I wanted to do a whole post about why I love classic Tim Burton film The Nightmare Before Christmas as much as I do, because to me it sums up the time of year perfectly and it's bloody brilliant! When I was a kid, I didn't have a copy for quite a while and it got to the point I was searching every DVD and VHS in every charity shop desperate to get a  copy! I finally got myself one, and I played it to death and had to buy a new copy in recent years! So, here are some reasons why I love this film, I want this to be more of a n appreciation post than a high-critique of the film, mainly because I am very tired and don't feel too good but also because my film friends would most likely read this and they could do a way better job!

It's not just a Halloween film

Although the title refers to the nightmare before Christmas that is clearly Halloween, there are so many scenes in Halloween town, and the emphasis is on them doing their version of Christmas, that for it not to be recognised as both a Halloween and a Christmas film is ridiculous! I watch this film mostly between October 1st and December 26th, as it covers this time period both literally in the film, and the gap between Halloween and Christmas perfectly! It builds you up for the spookiest season of them all, and also gets you hyped for the festive season too - a win-win in my eyes!

The music/score

Danny Elfman is a genius. He did the songs and most of the score for the film, and it is one of the best film soundtracks I have ever heard. I know every word to every song, and it isn't cringey like I find some films and musicals to be, it's really good and you want to get involved with it. It's lyrically good, and is matched with an incredible composition of a variety of sounds that are both spooky and festive, and who doesn't love that combination? If you aren't familiar then go and check out the soundtrack online or on Spotify, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

It's not scary

I don't understand the need for ridiculously scary films, especially right by Halloween. I don't mind the odd scare, but films that try too hard (Saw as a franchise, jump-scare films, Paranormal Activity films etc.) just don't do anything for me except make me wish I was watching something else. I don't really enjoy being scared in any capacity, so scary films aren't a big hit for me - although I do like a good psychological thriller! This film is not scary in the slightest, and yet it is one of the best Halloween films out there, and I think that the monsters under the bed and the bloodsucking vampires sing about what they do makes them far less scary than six-year-old me would have thought before. However, the bit where Jack pulls his face out and does that horrific noise scares me a little bit even now because it seems so out of character for him!

The characters

The characters were so well thought out in this film, there weren't people in it to make the numbers up, they all served a purpose that was important to the narrative in some capacity. They are all incredibly well animated too, and have been given very specific personalities, which is another thing big fans of the film are always very keen about. They all go on a journey together through this experience, even Mister Sandy Claws, and learnt things about themselves and others they take with them throughout the film. Also, a huge appreciation post to Sally and Sandy Claws who trust in each other despite being clearly overlooked by everyone else, especially Jack. I really like Sally too, I think she doesn't get the attention and appreciation she deserves because everyone focuses on naive and rather childish protagonist Jack.

*

I have so many more reasons, but I am getting super tired and don't want to bore anyone so I think this is a good place to sign off - I hope you have all had amazing Sundays and are off to bed soon to face another week.

Until next time
(tomorrow)

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment