Friday 27 October 2017

Things That Used To Scare Me

Heyo!

This was a post suggestion by a good pal, so thank you pal because I really enjoyed writing this one and you helped me out of a bit of a tight spot due to not sticking to schedule like I was supposed to! I was supposed to have done my post before uni today, but my plans got cancelled due to the water meter men needing my help to fit the meter, and this meant I couldn't shower so was running very late all day for stuff! The post I wanted to do today will be going up tomorrow and I am pretty excited about it in all honesty!

Remember when you were little, not like a baby, but old enough to be scared of things? This is what that post is all about, when you got scared of things as a kid, probably between the ages of around 5-12, and they were sometimes rational fears, and other times just ridiculous fears that you look back at and get confused about. I used to be scared of some really odd things, and also really real things, so seeing it is the season to get spooky and scary I thought sharing a couple of these fears might be fun!

Pipes

Image credit: https://www.yourprops.com/Basilisk-Page-replica-movie-prop-Harry-Potter-and-the-Chamber-of-Secrets-2002-YP62671.html

This was a very real fear for me, and it stemmed from the second Harry Potter film, The Chamber of Secrets. I read the book and was totally fine with it, the basilisk as a concept wasn't scary, and I never used to be worried it was lurking around as it was in the book, and when I shut the book, I shut it out of my mind and it never really bugged me. Then I saw the film, and the pipes terrified me. I was talking about this today funnily enough, and I felt silly bringing it up now. The pipes in the film would make these odd noises when the Basilisk was coming, and it just so happened that we had pipes exposed in my childhood home and they would sometimes make the exact same noises. This is where the fear developed from, that and the fact I was a kid that didn't want to die by the Basilisk getting me at home before I got to go to Hogwarts! I would run up the stairs as fast as I could, and would avoid going to the bathroom a lot as a kid to avoid the pipes, and if they began to make the noise I would just not go to the toilet until I was about to wet myself - it was a real fear! I don't remember how or when i conquered it, but one day I just went back to normal and it didn't really bug me anymore.

Owning Pirated DVDs

This trailer would scare me senseless, and I don't really know why
(Image credit: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/10/20/the_anti-piracy_copyright_alert_system_coming_within_weeks)

It's a funny fear, because I now stream TV online without even batting an eyelid and I have converted YouTube videos into mp3 tracks like the majority of people my age with little money but the need to listen to music and watch the latest episodes of Grey's Anatomy or Bob's Burgers! Do you remember those adverts that would play at the beginning of DVDs that would be like 'YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR' and so on? Those were very scary to me, and I was terrified that one day if I ever owned any I would get caught and go to jail for it. Young Beckie was terrified of authority figures, and I think those adverts fuelled that fire, hence why I seem to have become such a people pleaser! I really hate that I was so scared of it, because I did get given some DVDs by relatives that weren't 100% legit and I used to hide them in my underwear and sock drawer so if the scary men who stop DVD crime came they wouldn't find them (I don't know why I thought they wouldn't search this drawer, but again this whole fear seems so stupid to me now!) Needless to say this is a fear I have very much grown out of, and if the DVD men did come I don't think I would cry anymore, more be baffled as to why they're here seeing as I don't own any now as I have money and everything seems to be online!

Earwigs

I was always so scared of earwigs, and I wouldn't say they scare me now, more annoy me and creep me out a bit but mainly for their name. When I was a kid, my nan once told me that one could crawl into my ear and control my brain and make me do things I might not want to do, like chores and be nice to my siblings all the time and share all my toys with them (a very real fear, as I would always be terrified they would over-write my game on Pokemon Red on the GameBoy and I would have to re-earn six of the gym badges - the fear was REAL!) To this day, I don't know if that is true or not, but I am still really grossed out about them and I don't really know what I would do if I found one and was alone because I don't know their purpose or why they are called 'earwigs' at all. They're just rather ugly and look like they would be able to fit into your ear, and that's reason enough for me to still feel pretty darn uncomfortable around them now!

*

I could go on all evening, night, and weekend because I was quite a nervous kid, but I think this is a good place to stop before I get too many flashbacks! Maybe you can relate to these fear, and can take comfort int he fact that it wasn't just you, or maybe this made you laugh - whatever the reaction, I hope it serves some purpose and hasn't just exposed me to potential mocking in the future!

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment