Tuesday 4 December 2018

Five Festive Films

Hi there!


I wanted to do a little post about my favourite Christmas films, but I wanted to try and steer well clear of the very obvious ones, so here's my five favourite non-traditional Christmas films to get you in the mood for what all the songs tell you to be the most wonderful time of the year!

*
1. Bridget Jones

Image credit:
https://www.bustle.com/articles/126340-the-7-best-pop-culture-christmas-sweaters-of-all-time
This is probably far from a Christmas film for most, but for me it embodies the Christmas spirit of just saying 'screw it', spending the night in getting cosy and being unapologetically Bridget. We all need a relative like Bridget at Christmas, and the Christmas jumper scene and the bit with the snow at the end really put me in a rather festive mood!


2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

Image credit:
https://pittsburghsymphony.org/production/59398/harry-potter-and-the-sorcerers-stone
I think I speak for most people my age when I say that watching all the Harry Potter films this time of year (especially when ITV do them one a week until Christmas!) really feels like a part of Christmas tradition. They aren't focused around the season so they're not typical films, but it's obvious where the Christmassy connotations have come from and I think the footage of the huge tree and the emphasis around the festive season in this particular film really addresses the festive season in the best possible way.


3. The Chronicles of Narnia

Image credit: https://www.slashfilm.com/chronicles-of-narnia-reboot-netflix/
This is probably way more obvious due to all of the snow featured throughout, but I love this film oh so much that not including it felt very wrong! I watch this film nearer to Christmas than the others mainly because it has all the good values you need from a film (especially if you're telling kids why they should be good, Edmund is the perfect example of what happens when you're bad!) 


4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Image credit: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/
More obvious, but I'm a firm believer that this is a Halloween film more than a Christmas films, as it talks about the horrible night BEFORE Christmas. So, whilst Christmas is a sub-seasonal and therefore a sub-plot it is not a typical festive film. However, I'm aware you'll all probably yell at me so let's just move on and accept the fact that I love this film (and Tim Burton's universe) far more than anything else...


5. Die Hard
Image credit: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a822492/a-major-die-hard-plot-hole-was-just-explained-29-years-later/
As I write this I'm literally just thinking about that Brooklyn Nine-Nine and chuckling away, because it both is and isn't a Christmas film. It's not a traditional film, but it does put me in the right frame of mind to tackle Christmas shopping and the dreaded markets here in Bath! It's a very good film and if you haven't seen it already or if you're super skeptical now is the time to watch it and bask in its glory.


*

So, there's five films I turn to at Christmas that aren't The Grinch or Home Alone...what are your go to films? Are there any I should watch that maybe I haven't already? Let me know!

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment