Monday 3 December 2018

Christmas on a budget

Hi there!


I think most people from uni know me as a thrifty gal because I would take the bus to Lidl no matter how far in order to save some extra money (I had a bus pass before anyone tries to come for me and my Lidl jam doughnuts!) I've always known how to have a budget and I'm actually really good at sticking to them when I need to. Luckily, as of late I haven't had to stick to such a tight budget which is new and exiting at times, but scary when you see a good chunk of your wages being spent on a few drinks and meals after work. It’s even scarier when you work in a cafe and spend so much on coffee even though you actually get it for free from lovely humans *gulps*

So, I thought I’d share with you all how I manage to get people things for Christmas, as well as having a pretty good time myself, without breaking the bank. I know you don't need me to tell you that Christmas isn't about all the commercial things under the tree as much as capitalist society seems to dictate, promote and emphasise at a scarily high rate as years go by. Christmas is about coming together somehow, whether it’s extending kindness to someone that’s fallen on hard times or cooking a nut roast for your vegan daughter even though it’s added faff (love you mum x) and it’s most importantly about getting off of the screens and interacting with people. 

However, there are *typically* presents and cards to open and enjoy, crackers to pull apart (and dad jokes that nobody except weird uncle Jim will laugh at) and things you can do to feel a bit more ‘Christmassy’, so here’s some small tips on how to do this!

*

1. Buy and wrap things in brown paper

This is super cheap, can be recycled very easily the next day, and can easily be jazzed up with some colourful cotton/twine when wrapping the gift in question! Also, it looks classic and super thoughtful, perfect for disguising the slipper you've bought Dad another year on the trot. You can also use it for any other occasion and it’ll be fine, one paper all year round sounds like a win to me.

2. Don't go mad

People don't need to be spoiled on one particular day of the year for the sake of the supposed birth of a baby. I've always found the smaller and more thoughtful gifts I’ve given have gone down WAY BETTER than big flashy ones. People really appreciate you taking the time to use your brain and getting them something they’ll actually use and want to show off.

3. Use your brain

Did you break mum’s baking scales last month? Then get her slightly better ones and some nice baking bits as an apology and a resent all wrapped up in one! Your sister’s best mate borrowed her favourite top and she never got it back? Get her a BETTER one! Do you have a friend that’s forever forgetting their keys? Get them a large/annoying keyring so they’ll (hopefully) never forget again.

4. Look about

You can probably get something for someone in Marks and Sparks for £20, but will the same thing be available in Tesco for £5? Probably! It’ll also probably be of the same quality and they won’t have thought to look in there for it because we seem to associate supermarkets with food and not really with everything else they stock. I’m doing my Christmas shopping in Bath and bringing presents home, so I’m 99% sure my sister doesn't even known what I’ve got her exists yet!

5. Make a present

this might not work too well if you’re not the craftiest person about, but if there's something you can give someone you've made/provided yourself then it’ll save you some money and show your imagination. This in turn shows the person that you thought about them enough not to just get them a voucher. If you do get them a voucher though, go for one they’ll actually use, or get them one and write on it what it should go towards! (For example, if someone got me a Sainsbury’s voucher and said it was for vegan ice cream I’d be delighted!)

*

These are just a few tips off of the top of my head that don't clash with other posts I have coming up, so check back in at a later date for more tips and tricks. I hope these have been off help and hopefully I haven’t given away any presents I’ve got for people!

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment