Friday 1 December 2017

Being a Music-Lover & Post-Gig Depression

Heyo!

Now, if you've been following my movements on social media, or know me in person, then you'll know that one of my 'happy places' is at live music events, be it a gig, an open mic night, or a festival. I'm not 100% sure why, but I think a major part of it is the feeling of being a part of something. Everyone there likes/appreciates/loves the band the same as you do, and they're there for the same reasons. You're all enjoying the same thing, and seeing bands and artists live whether they're really big or locally known and unsigned, is something I love doing. Another reason why I love going to live events is because I just love music, and cannot go a day without listening to it. I have playlists for different moods, activities, times of day, for revision, for getting hyped for a night out, or just a nice night in with a good book. I do not remember the last time I went a day without music, and in all honesty I don't want to.

I lived in halls in first year and bonded with Trey over our shared interest of many things, but music was a big part (Tame Impala brings people together: FACT). I also befriended musicians, and lived with one all of last year. Hearing music in your house is amazing and if you ever get the chance to live with a musician please do, because hearing them practice all hours and sporadically and then seeing them live is amazing. I loved seeing the progress Jordan would make from an initial lyric or chord-progression, or even a riff, to the finished product at a gig. I now live with E-J, a brilliantly talented musician, and seeing her progress and her devotion to her art is so wonderful. Incase you're reading this and you doubt me, you're bloody brilliant gal, and I love hearing you practice (I often take my headphones off to listen to you instead!)

I took this when I went to see The Killers and seeing it made me feel post-gig depression so bad
I've surrounded myself and immersed myself in music from a very young age, which has been amazing, but means after gigs I often get spouts of post-gig depression, and it really hits me because I have your standard depression on top of this. I am aware some people might be thinking, you can't compare depression depression to gig depression, and I get you guys I really do. But I do suffer with mental health problems already, so this post-gig depression that I feel seems way worse than it did before I had these mental health issues, and sometimes it makes me feel worse than normal. But then at other times, I don't really feel it and just ride on the high of an incredible night.

I think that my love of music, especially live music, transpires when I go to gigs and festivals with friends. It's not until people see how I am around bands, artists and musicians that I feel they truly get how passionate I am about music. An example of this is when I went to reading and saw (and met) Marmozets, I just cried because I was so overwhelmed and blown away. Another would be when QOTSA played their secret set, I turned to Alisha and cried because 'they're real' and they were incredible, and also because I never thought I would get to see them live. I get so emotional over music because it makes me feel so many things, and it has often helped me focus on something other than the crap I've had to go through at certain times in my life. And I am very aware of how cliche that sounds, but often the most cliche things are the most true.

Immersing yourself in something you love is one of the best things we as humans can do. Surrounding ourselves with positivity and things that make us so happy we could cry tears of joy, and dance and sing and shout and celebrate and experience it with friends. For me, it is music and live music in all forms available to me, from house gigs to festivals. For others, it might be art, or literature, or sports, or dogs, or good food. Find your thing, devote yourself to it, and never stop loving it. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for feeling emotional over something like a band, a song, a piece of art or some bloody good cheese! Keep loving what you love, because these things will help you when you least expect it, and it's important to have outlets for a variety of things.

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment