Monday 2 January 2017

New Year's Resolutions

Heyo!

I've been thinking a lot about all of the things that I've chosen to do in the last few years, whether it's been for New Year or for lent or just because I wanted to, and I've found that for the most part I am pretty good at sticking to the goals I set for myself. Last year my resolution was to read more and write a lot more. I managed those pretty well and I'm ready to try and do something new and better myself as a result of it.


This was taken after a lot of alcohol had been consumed and I love it
My goal this year is to finally get fit and healthy again. I had to stop lots of sports and high-impact training I was doing because of my EDS, but I've managed to put together routines and schedules so I should be able to do more without doing myself any damage in the long run. Now I know what you're thinking, everyone says they're gonna do that, they get a gym membership come the first of January, they go twice and by February the gym is back to normal. Well to quote Skepta, that's not me. I'm going to give it everything I can this year to make sure I feel confident and comfortable in myself again, and to build back my stamina and strength because I'm sick of not being able to open my own jam jars and not being able to go on really long walks is really starting to annoy me.

Another resolution I've got this year is to read even more once again, setting my target now to a book a week. This shouldn't be too tricky because as an English student I have to read on average 20 books a year, and then surrounding criticism and supporting texts. So combining the ones on my course with ones for fun should be exciting and fun. I want to branch out and read genres I would never usually touch (I won't be reading anything '50 shades' related though, it's not a genre it's really bad literature!) I'm really excited to broaden my horizons and find new books not based on a reading list or a theme.


I always make a silly little resolution, and this year is no different, so this year I'm not going to take myself as seriously, I started doing this last year, and it's been working so well I want to continue it this year. It's made me a better person already, and it's such a small thing that makes such a huge difference - I don't really mind what I wear now or what others think of me because I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. For this one I have my wonderful housemates to thank, from Trey teaching me that you should do whatever makes you happy, Alice telling me that I should wear whatever I want because confidence is key, to Ollie who wears a dragon onesie or a massive spartan helmet to uni because of a 'tradition' he himself started. Everyone has helped me get to this point, and I want to keep going until eventually it won't make me anxious and it'll be completely normal.


I hope everyone celebrated the new year with the people they love and care about, and had fun whatever they did, and that you all achieve what you want with this year.


Make it count,

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment