Sunday 11 March 2018

Vegan Coconut and White Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe

Heyo!

There's a tale behind these cookies, so before I share this recipe which I literally came up with on the spot, I wanted to share the motivation behind these beautiful and super tasty treats!

My good gal pal and future flatmate Bronte wasn't having the best time, and although she would probably never admit it she needed a pick me up and for someone to spoil her a bit, because she's an absolute angel and deserves it for always tolerating me and my weirdness! So, I set about thinking what I could bake to help (I can only really bake and craft, but this needed to be quick and crafting takes TIME) and I thought about Bronte, and what type of baked good she would be. She's clearly a cookie in my opinion, one of those big nice ones you buy at the bakery or something. She's an all-rounder when it comes to anything related to publishing and words, and cookies are round. Also, with the exception of Alisha, Bronte is the whitest girl I know. So I wanted to work this into a recipe, and two brilliant yet typically cliche 'white-girl' ingredients are coconut and white chocolate. I then ended up thinking about the recipe, and these were what happened as the end result.

Needless to say, they made her, and others she let have some (myself included) very happy indeed! I thought I would share this recipe with you all, because I really don't share very many (I checked, five in almost two years is a joke and I am sorry I haven't shared more!) and also, because they were super easy to make and taste so blooming brilliant!

If you've got a friend, loved one, or just fancy making these for yourself because you look like and want a snack, then go ahead!

(Sidenote: these would be great as a last-minute Mother's Day gift - I won't tell if you don't!)

*

Vegan Coconut and White Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe

Makes 10-12 depending on how big you want them!

Ingredients:

100g sugar
160g plain flour (and 3/4 tsp baking powder, or just 160g s-r flour)
60g dessicated coconut
80g dairy-free white chocolate (I used Sainsbury's and ate two squares leftover!)
90g vegan margarine
1tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp water (if needed)

Method:

1. Add the butter and the sugar to a mixing bowl and cream the two together. Once creamed, add the vanilla extract and mix this in. Once done, combine the flour and dessicated coconut to the mixture, ensuring it reaches a good cookie-dough-like consistency.

2. Chop up the chocolate bar into chunks (I buy bars and do this as it is cheaper and easier than finding dairy-free chips/chunks in store) and I chop them into the chunk size I want, so do what works best for you and then add the chocolate into the mix too.

3. Combine all of the ingredients together until it forms a cookie dough, adding some water if you need to loosen it up a bit to make it doughy. Once this has been down use hands to form the dough into a ball and put it onto some cling film or tin foil.

3. Once on the film/foil (I go for cling film as it's easier and you can see through it to see what the dough is doing!) you need to roll it out into a log and wrap the log completely in the film/foil. Place this log of dough flat in the fridge for at least half an hour, so the cookies don't lose their shape in the oven.

4. Five minutes before the cookie dough is ready (I would wait an hour, but 30 mins is a minimum!) pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a couple of baking tray with either parchment or butter - whatever works for you!

5. Remove the dough log from the fridge, and cut out 10-12 little chunks and roll them into balls, flattening them onto the tray and spacing them apart so they don't all form one huge cookie!

6. Place the cookies in the oven for 12-15 minutes until they are slightly golden around the edges and the chocolate looks good! Once done, allow them to cool for five minutes, then remove them from the tray and either demolish them, share them, allow them to cool further and store away.

They keep for 3-4 days, but honestly mine were gone in less than two days!

*


And there you have it, it's a pretty easy and simple recipe that I made up myself from my other vegan cookie recipe so check that out if you want a standard chocolate chip - but I really hope you love this take on the classic cookie, veganized of course but you can make it with whatever ingredients you want!

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment