Thursday 18 August 2016

Vegan Doughnuts Recipe

Hi everyone!


I love baking, like a lot. The Great British Bake Off is more important to me than Christmas and Mary Berry (I often refer to her as Mezza Bezza) is one of my idols. I've always turned to baking whenever I'm feeling a bit down in the Donald Dumps and it always manages to cheer me up. I love experimenting with new ideas and baked goods, and since I went vegan in February I've been modifying my old favourite recipes to fit my new lifestyle (myth debunked: replacing eggs isn't as tricky as you'd think) which has led to me making all sorts of things! Whoever said vegans were healthy clearly hasn't tried vegan oreo brownies because oh me oh my.

One thing I've really been missing however is doughnuts, I've managed to 'veganify' my favourite things except these and I kept finding eggs and milk in the ingredients and wanting to cry. Sugared ring doughnuts have always been my favourite, mainly because you can get these really nice ones from Brighton Pier and they're so good me and my cousin got 10 and ate them all and it was glorious. I stumbled across a BuzzFeed video (I'm trash,I know, but aren't we all when we watch those videos?) showing you how to make doughnuts, and I found they didn't use any egg, so I decided to 'veganify' and experiment with this recipe. I found the ratios were pretty bad as it was all in cups so I scrapped it and improvised and mine looked waaaaaay better than theirs I'm not even sorry. So I though I'd share this recipe for any fellow vegans out there, but I reckon it would easily work with non-vegan ingredients (like normal margarine or butter and normal milk)

I got asked if I made these or bought them - success if you ask me

-->

Vegan Doughnuts - Makes approx 10 (depending on doughnut size)


Ingredients:

50g vegan margarine
125ml soya milk
2 1/2 tbsp oil (I used vegetable but sunflower works well too!) & 400ml for frying
300g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

1. Melt the margarine in a small saucepan over a medium heat, once this is nearly all melted add the soya milk and the oil until it is all combined then remove from the heat

2. In a bowl, mix together 250g of plain flour and 50g of the sugar, baking powder and the salt with a wooden spoon or a fork (whatever's available!) Then make a small well in the centre of the bowl and add the mixture of margarine, milk and oil into the well and mix together gradually to form the dough.

3. Use the remaining 50g of flour to flour your hands and work small chunks of the dough into doughnut shapes, making the hole in the middle with either a finger or utensil (this may be tricky at first but keep using the flour to help you!)

4. In a larger pan, heat up a large amount of oil (I used about 400ml but I had a tiny pan, fill the pan 1/3 of the way) and add some of the doughnuts when the oil is hot enough. Fry them either side until a dark golden brown, this takes between 3-7 minutes either side, turn them until they reach desired colouring.

5. Once they are cooked, place them on a small side plate to cool for a second, and add the remaining 50g of caster sugar to a small bowl and coat the doughnuts 

6. The doughnuts are now ready to be served/demolished! Best enjoyed whilst still hot, as that way they taste like the ones you get at the seaside

And that's it! 

You can bake them for 15 minutes instead if you want, but I find frying them means they have a nice crispy coating and you can smother them in sugar! Hopefully these will work for you as well as they worked for me - Enjoy!

I hope to upload more recipes as and when I come across really good ones - probably in honour of Bake Off so stay updated if you want more recipes that can be made vegan or just normally. I won't be uploading my vegan brownies, because there's too many variables and lately I can't get them just right because we have a new oven and one minute it's raw, the next it's burnt.
Hopefully they'll be great next time - like these doughnuts were!

It's been real,
B x



No comments:

Post a Comment