Friday 12 January 2018

21 Albums That Shaped My Music Taste

Heyo!

I turned 21 last week and it's been something that I had been dreading for a while. I don't really like celebrating my birthday that much, I think it's because I don't like being the centre of attention, I find it difficult and it sends my anxiety through the roof. This year I decided to try and combat it and do what I wanted to do on my birthday. I decided that I didn't want to sit in at home all day, or go out on a massive night out. I thought it would be nice to have a really relaxed day at home and see people as and when I could and when I felt up to it. I instead opted to get up, do some guided meditation, have a chilled breakfast and spend time with mum, Hannah and Steven and then walk Misty. Then some family came over and I got to see everyone (and I got a crazy amount of beautiful cards and some lovely gifts so thank you all very much I do not deserve you!) I got back to Bath and went out or Big Cheese, one of my favourite nights out in my favourite club (Moles) and got stung off the beesting and had the best night imaginable!



The idea for this post came from the gifts I got for birthday and Christmas, as well as the songs I heard on the night out. I was thinking about the different types of music I listen to and thought about how certain bands, albums and songs had influenced my life and what I listen to today. It then dawned upon me that there have been certain albums that have stuck with me for many years, be it because my mum played them when I was a kid all the time, or because I found them myself and loved them, or because of the people I associate them with. They all hold a lot of value to me , in various different way, even if it's just because it's a song I always sing with someone, so I thought I'd share them with you all! I've seen a few posts like this and I really loved them because you learn a lot, so here's my version.

*

1. Green Day - American Idiot
(I am pretty sure that this was the first CD I owned!)

2. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
(This was the first album I bought for myself)

3. Kate Nash - Made Of Bricks
(A beautiful album that showed me songs don't have to rhyme or always be big and bold and intelligent, because there's a lyric in one song about birds shitting on your head! Also, it now reminds me of Robyn because we saw it in full live in the summer)

4. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters
(My first ever gig)

5. David Bowie - Hunky Dory
(The first Bowie album I remember in full!)

6. Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High
(I love this band, and this is where that all began!)

7. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
(This has the most amazing songs on, and it's my mum's favourite and she plays it all the time, I listen to it when I miss her or if I need a dance!)

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - A Different Kind Of Fix
(This album is so chilled and perfect for revision, it got me through so many exams and essays!)

9. Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
(My auntie loves Elvis, and there's so many good songs, it's different to what I usually listen to)

10. Ratatat - Classics
(This album is another one for revision, but also is what I listened to when walking to school and just around my hometown for years!)

11. Gorillaz - Demon Days
(This album was so different to my usual style and also made me fall for those iconic vocals)

12. Patti Smith - Horses
(Patti is my hero and her lyrics, voice and talent make me so very happy)

13. The Cure - Disintegration
(This album has lullaby on it, and its arguably one of my favourite songs ever)

14. Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
(My favourite Muse album and the first album I heard of theirs)

15. The Killers - Hot Fuss
(This album reminds me of Lydia, but also makes me cry. I sign along to every single word of every song and I nail all the instrumental-ly bits!)

16. Joy Division - Closer
(The lesser-known album that deserves all the credit)

17. Spice Girls - Spice
(This will always remind me of Alisha, and of Hannah when I used to play this on my walkman and dance around my room for hours on end wishing I was sporty spice!)

18. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
(Another pretentious 80s depressing album, but this is their best album IMO, and reminds me of my auntie and my cousin every time I play it on my record player)

19. The White Stripes - Elephant
(This album is perfection, and is probably where my love of music duos began)

20. Childish Gambino - Camp (Deluxe)
(This reminds me of all of my friends from college and all the house parties we had and it fills me with joy every time I listen to it or it comes on shuffle)

21. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
(Another beautiful album, that helped me appreciate the beauty in every aspect of the songs, not just the vocals or beautiful fancy guitar bits!)

*

I hope you liked this post, I wanted to keep it stripped back, but if you'd like me to elaborate a bit more then let me know and I'll explain them all in a later post! I kept it short and sweet so you had a quick Friday night read, and because I really need to get back to bossing my dissertation because it won't write itself.

Wish me luck!
B x

No comments:

Post a Comment