Monday 28 November 2016

My (Current) Top 10 Films

Heyo!

Watching films has always been a big part of my life, I spent a lot of my childhood watching films with my Dad and my siblings as we all re-bonded after my ma and pa split up, and I used to get very excited about going to the cinema with them all. My mum and dad both took it in turns to take me to see all of the Harry Potter films. I saw the first two on DVD because I was too young to see them in the cinema, the first one I saw on the big screen was the third film, which is probably why the Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite. I loved watching films and analysing the scenes, the acting, directing and editing of it all paired with the most brilliant music. I have seen some films that have been otherworldly, and some that were utter garbage (The live-action Super Mario Bros. movie was both simultaneously) I used to go to the cinema with three of my closest friends every Wednesday, and it was the thing that got me through most weeks with deadlines looming for coursework and exams and everything. Watching films gave me a sense of freedom, and transported me to worlds I could barely comprehend yet loved.

I went on to study film, and further broadened my horizons, I had the best film teacher in the world, his name was Calum and he was the best, I don't think I would have got to uni if it wasn't for the pep talks he gave me and how he helped me to get an A overall (I still have no clue how I did that, but thank you Cal you legend) I think films are so important and not enough people watch and appreciate them, so here my current 10 favourite films that i reckon everyone should see at least once!

Credit: https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/98/234261205_63fa6a3412_b.jpg

1. Kill Bill (Tarantino films in general)

Quentin Tarantino is a genius. The man may be a rude, arrogant perfectionist and quite possibly the world's worst actor, but he is undeniably a genius. His first film, Reservoir Dogs, saw his creative genius flourish, with a non-linear narrative, flawed characters, impressive use of cinematography and iconic torture-scene (you know the one I'm talking about). Following close behind this is cult classic Pulp Fiction (The only reason I have not put this on this list is because I trust everyone has already seen such a beautiful and iconic cinematic masterpiece.) With this style established alongside a very good working relationship with Uma Thurman, he worked alongside her to bring to life 'The Bride', a character concept discussed on the set of Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill was born. There are two great films, I prefer Volume One, as O-Ren Ishii is one of the best villains I have ever seen, and you get to see why our favourite female-protagonist is so angry she gets Japanese steel to kill her 'vermin' and extract revenge. Uma Thurman's role as 'The Bride' is incredible. With Quentin's eye on perfection and Thurman's dedication to her role, this film is a must-see for anyone who love blood, assassins, strong female leads and visually stunning films with beautiful cinematography.

Credit: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi06P-qZV4fmrr1Yqcfxv98loWo7Q7zoJ35cj7LxVd-mGA1qfrJX-Xhm9WAdlX4Fv3H3oMBTQ_UTJloGqAno-DdjvQhwu5kNyTw7Nq8fkgzB3wu2cQnEL_lFk01yZ8M3lboef88oLvlmnw/s1600/
juno+movie+stills+ellen+page+michael+cera+%25285%2529.png

2. Juno

This film makes me laugh so hard I have to go pee. The film sees 16 year old Juno McGuff (Ellen Page) get pregnant to her not-boyfriend/fellow band member Paul Bleaker (Michael Cera) and find a family to give the baby to. Michael Cera is one of those actors who looks so unsure what he is doing yet does it so well, and I urge you to go and watch every Michael Cera film ever made because they are all amazing, especially Youth in Revolt and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I don't know what it is about this film that makes it one of my all-time favourites, maybe it's the brilliant awkward-teenager orientated script, with lines such as 'my mom uses colour-safe bleach' with a solid 'Go Carol' as response by Juno. I love the way this film deals with an unplanned pregnancy, as it does so in a way that does not offend or upset anyone, with an end result which benefits all involved. With it's witty sarcasm and brilliant cast and crew, this film is a must for anyone sick of the same coming-of-age films. 

Credit: https://userscontent2.emaze.com/images/839afdc5-8980-4e58-8cfe-5dcaf7a3f165/3113b1577a6f99271833fd551f5fc031.jpg

3. Donnie Darko

This film has some of the best cinematography I have ever seen, the shots and camera angles are so beautiful, and the plot is so incoherently coherent. A very 2000's film. The execution of such a simple idea here is one of the many reasons I love films. It has been dubbed a 'psychological horror-science fiction drama' with a cast full of stars known to many, and yet it has a niche cult following. If you get the chance to see the director's cut, please do. It adds bits to the film I wish they did not cut, and helps the plot unravel more naturally. Richard Kelly's masterpiece here shows clear direction and excellent execution, with Donnie's doomsday dreams steered by demonic-rabbit figure 'Frank' are cut in such a way you feel a part of it, but completely distanced all at once. A perfect example of how to make a visually stunning film with a great concept all shot in 28 days. Exploring time-travel, mental illness, hallucinations and other often taboo topics in films, this film is unique, and one so obscure I feel I have not done it justice at all in this very brief summary.

(Do not watch the sequel, it is pretty dire)

Credit: http://i.imgur.com/TZ6DV2O.jpg

4. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This is very much a marmite film, again another film with a small cult folowing of die-hard fans (not fans of Die Hard, but hardcore enthusiasts!) who follow its movements in the now very popular live productions. The film was released in 1975, after the success of the stage production two years prior, and this musical follows Brad and Janet as they get engaged, and get lost in the woods trying to visit their old teacher. They leave their broken-down car and arrive at the home of Dr Frank-'n'-Furter (played brilliantly by Tim Curry), the sweet transvestite from transexual Transylvaniaaaaaaaaaaa (I sung this as I wrote and re-read this post, and you did too) who unveils his new creation 'Rocky'. The film is whacky, and seems to have a very basic plot which ends with an orgy in a pool and people die. The music, costumes and brilliant acting all combined with Richard O'Brien's amazing screenplay make for one of the most controversial films, the movie-marmite if you will. It is well worth the watch, even if only to see Meatloaf ride around a lab chased by Tim Curry as a transvestite yielding a chainsaw. You couldn't make this up, it actually happens.

Credit: http://www.moviequotesandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/fight-club-3.jpg

5. Fight Club

This is another film that everyone seems to know before they even know it. Everyone's done the 'the first rule of....' gig by now so I'll just cut to the chase here - it's a film that has been put together so cleverly you can watch it over and over and notice something new every time. Having won several awards and starring the likes of Brad Pitt, Helena Bonham-Carter and Edward Norton, all directed by David Fincher, you know it's gotta be good, and boy is it good. The film follows the unnamed protagonist and narrator (Norton) who suffer from insomnia, and joins support groups to gain a sense of freedom from the insomnia. He meets Marla Singer there, and she ruins this, so they negotiate terms and part ways. Cue Tyler Durden (Pitt), a quick-witted soap salesman who bring the narrator onto a path which he cannot leave, founding the infamous Fight Club, where men fight recreationally. That's a basic summary, and if you haven't already seen it then you should because again, I refuse to spoil it and I think it's something that should be seen more than discussed. The plot is clever, the casting is brilliant and the attention to detail throughout the lengthy film is astounding.

Credit: http://ourgoldenage.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GAC_Totoro.jpg

6. My Neighbour Totoro

Probably one of the best-known characters from the brilliant world of Studio Ghibli is Totoro, and this was the very first Ghibli film I saw, so it will always have a special place in my heart! When you watch it, it's very hard to believe that it was actually released way back in 1988, and the history behind Totoro and his purpose is very dark, but this quaint film sees Satsuki and her younger sister Mai move with their dad away from the city to be nearer their mum who is in hospital. Set in post-war Japan, Satsuki and Mai interact with various spirits, including soot gremlins! The film is so beautiful and touching, and Totoro has become the 'mascot' of Ghibli, always in the logos and on most of the merchandise due to his lovable nature. Totoro sums up what the company want to do, help children, entertain them and teach them lessons. I prefer Ghibli films to Disney films, but before everyone riots, I do still love Disney! I love Ghibli for the different ways they execute plots and storylines, and I like that they aren't all about the money. I highly recommend everyone to watch at least two Ghibli films, this and Howl's Moving Castle, another underrated work of art, with touching storyline and beautiful animation.

Credit: http://images2.laweekly.com/imager/napoleon-dynamite/u/745xauto/4859674/test-pedro.jpg

7. Napoleon Dynamite

In all honesty, not even I fully understand the plot of this one, but here goes: Napoleon Dynamite (played by Jon Heder, this was his first ever film) is a troubled teen who lives in the middle of nowhere constantly picked on at school, becoming a loner with a love of art and nunchucks and everything bizarre. He lives with his grandma and his older brother Kip. He's weird, and his friends are weirder. After his grandmother has a quad-biking accident in the sand dunes (go with it), his uncle Rico comes to stay, persuading Kip to actually get a job and stop 'chatting online with babes all day' (an actual quote, stay with me here), and the film follows these storylines, and the campaign for Napoleon's odd friend Pablo to become class president. With a low budget of only $400,000, Heder was only paid $1,000 for his role. The film was a huge success, making $46.1 million. He renegotiated terms, and the film spurred on a TV series also (this ended very quickly). Nothing makes sense, but it all works together to create a film showing what it's really like to be a loner in a town you hate with very few people you actually like. With scenes that made me laugh so hard I cried, I can't recommend it enough. It's just 95 minutes of joy.


Credit: https://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/06/06-dyk-nightmare.jpg

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas

I don't really need to try and sell this, it's just selling itself. The perfect film to binge between October 1st until Christmas, it's got everything you'd ever want from a Tim Burton film. (surprisingly, not directed by Burton, but he did the production!) As he stumbles down the portal in the tree to Christmas Town, he falls in love with the fairy lights and the presents, and the one and only 'Sandy Claws'. If there's one thing this film should tell you, it's that Oogie Boogie has the best songs, and holidays should not interfere with one another. The soundtrack, like all of Danny Elfman's work, is just perfection, with iconic 'This is Halloween' being covered by various artists, and becoming the main way to identify the film. The world created by Henry Selick and Tim Burton is a world I will forever love and hold dear. Jack Skellington is terrifying, yet a gentle-skeleton none the less, and his journey of discovery alongside Sally and Zero is something everyone should sit down and watch, and now is the perfect time so go go go!

Credit: http://www.uptownmagazine.com/files/2012/11/The-Color-Purple.jpg

9. The Color Purple


The other films in this list are all much cheerier than this, but I really feel that it is important to have a good balance of films in lists like these. The Color Purple is the film version of the book by Alice Walker, starring Whoopi Goldberg as Celie Harris, a victim of rape, the loss of her child after birth, manipulation, domestic violence and the loss of everyone she loves throughout. A black woman oppressed, Celie overcomes the racism, sexism and misogyny that runs rife through the south in rural Georgia. With the help of friends and her sister along the way, she is able to survive and this heartbreaking film won only one of the five Golden Globe awards with Whoopi Goldberg taking Best Actress, and was nominated for ten Academy Awards. Steven Spielberg as the director was able to capture the essence of the book, a book that I truly enjoyed reading despite the awful things that happen to Celie, with the narration, use of cinematography and with such brilliant casting. This is a film I feel many people should watch, even though the subject matter is not something many would want to, as it is brave, emotional and truly moving.

Credit: http://67.media.tumblr.com/c02526e1c4fa07a7c9dc106518908ae4/tumblr_nvuyyiIoLr1t0kwgso5_1280.jpg

10. Submarine

Well, what do you know? Another cult classic, coming-of-age film. In my defence, I am coming of age, so this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Directed by Richard Ayoade, a man who has my heart and full attention always, this film follows Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts, aka Rio Wellard) as he becomes infatuated with Jordana (Yasmin Page) who eventually becomes his girlfriend. As he becomes involved in her world, his own begins to fall apart. Jealousy fuels hatred and violence, until the film comes to a close, ending on an enigmatic note, as we are left uncertain if he resolves everything. The editing of the film and the cutting of the shots and scenes into one another is both visually engaging and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The fast pace, which then slows down reflects on Oliver's mood and own psyche. To have a film that is so perfectly displaying a teen's life is a triumph, Ayoade's debut as a director here makes me very excited for the brilliant career ahead of him, also check out his other film 'The Double'. The soundtrack was done by Arctic Monkeys frontman Alex Turner, and is one of my favourite records that I own. A beautiful 10-inch record with six songs that capture the truth of the film and of Oliver, who we all come to love and route for.


I hope you enjoyed this, it was one of the posts I really wanted to work on and edit and make sure I did well, so any feedback would be great! I hope I've convinced you to go and watch some of these films (if you haven't already) and points to anyone who's already seen them!

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment