Friday 7 October 2016

What To Do When You're In The Donald Dumps

I usually start these with an enthusiastic 'hi everyone!', but right now and as of late I'm not feeling very chirpy at all. Usually, I would apologise for the fact I haven't uploaded in a while, but apologising for not doing something I have no obligation to do seems a tad silly now, doesn't it? 

I have been having a strange time lately, nothing terrible has happened but little things have been happening and causing me a great deal of stress and anxiety and making me feel low and numb and uneasy. My confidence has been knocked as of late which is a real shame because I was getting so good at almost making eye contact with people for more than two seconds (anyone who know me knows my eye contact is awful) I'm working on it, I'm doing this new thing where I persist and muddle through, even when all I want to do is go to bed and hide in the duvet with snacks and books and tv and films.

I don't really know why I keep feeling this way, but it is completely fine to not know how or what to feel, some days are so brilliant you cannot help but smile and exude happiness and others leave you with nothing. And that's okay. That's really okay. You can't always be a happy ball of sunshine and there will be days where like me the duvet will feel like the best option (let's get real though, duvet days are always pretty rad) but there's things you can do to help you get through the strange times, and I wish I had this list before so now I do you can have it too:

  • Get out of your pj's into clothes - this doesn't mean you have to leave the house, and you don't have to dress fancy, just whack on something comfy that isn't sleepwear, it will make a difference to your mood and it's very easy to do

A nice hot cup of tea seems to solve most problems - or coffee, or hot chocolate, whatever floats your goat
  • Have a hot beverage - I usually opt for one of my many herbal teas, but I know not everyone loves camomile and spearmint as much as I do, so grab a hot drink and get all cosy

This was probably the best album last month and I am so excited for Monday to see him live - pretentious record player shot 
  • Listen to your favourite songs - They don't have to be happy songs, right now I'm listening to The Smiths for the third time today and Morrissey is a depressing beautiful creature, whatever you want to listen to (Mr Brightside is perfect for this and I am convinced everyone is born knowing all the words nowadays) and dance like nobody's watching, dancing is proven to release endorphins so go crazy!
  • Have a shower/bath - Depending on the facilities you have available, sometimes this really helps, bath bombs are really cool and lush do lots of lovely ones that don't stain the tub too! Even if you just have quick showers like me, you'll feel a bit more human
  • Catch up with a friend - I felt like crap this week, and my dear chum Maddie gave me a call and we sat there for two and a half hours talking about everything and anything and it really brought me out of the little rut I found myself in

These are two of my favourites at the moment, keep away from books you have to study because they remind you of school and that's never what you want when you already feel a bit meh
  • Read a book - Whenever I feel myself going to a bad place, I pick up a good book, because books have a way of transporting you away from your own problems, and you become very invested in the characters and the plot, so much so you have to forget you own struggles, this may seem like a distraction technique but it will help
  • Try going outside - You don't even have to go far, one day I felt so crappy and low I just went to the shop to get some bread for marmalade on toast and I saw three dogs in the field by my house and they were so happy it lifted my spirits, also the evening air helped as being in the house all day was draining, if you don't want to go outside then just crack open a window, fresh air is good for you

The candle at the front cost £2 from Primark and smells of kiwi and lemonade, and the other is a huge vanilla candle that smells of coconut at the low price of £4, these are great and look good too! (the lady is a figure I've had for years)
  • Light a candle - I know this isn't an option for everyone (last year I was in halls so no candles allowed) but lighting a nice scented candle is relaxing and candles are cheap so are reed diffusers which give off a smell without burning anything

I want to thank all of my family and friends for being very supportive and caring, even if you didn't realise I was having a hard time you were helping me and it's made this time a lot easier and I'm starting to feel like me again.

So thank you for bearing with me, I really appreciate it.

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment