Monday 6 June 2016

Tattoo Tips

Hi Everyone!

I didn't really have time to upload a blog post last week because I was so busy with all my revision for my exams, and I was too anxious trying to cram as many quotes and references to Ulysses and Northanger Abbey that I kinda sorta forgot to upload! I had some bits and bobs that I've already written but I wanted to save those for other times. Now exams are all done and I've officially finished uni (I will be uploading a post all about uni later this week) I decided I would try and do at least two posts a week to keep me busy and also to stop me from binging every show in existence over the summer.

This post is a bit different (as you probably guessed) but it's more impromptu and a far nicer way to write if I'm honest, so here goes. I got a tattoo today and I wanted to share this great experience and to ease anyone's minds if they are considering getting one, or if they are just worried about the idea of tattoos as a concept. 


I went to Electric Vintage in Bath, and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking to get a tattoo, they were so friendly and helpful (they even listened to my dumb questions such as "do you use vegan friendly ink?" *spot the vegan*) and I got tattooed by the lovely Stuart who it turns out was from the same area I am originally, which was nice and eased my mind a little as dumb as it sounds. My two lovely pals Megan and Ollie came along with me to keep me company and be the moral support I thought I needed, but here's the odd thing - it wasn't half as bad as what I had read and imagined, so here's my 5 things to do to prepare for a tattoo.

1. Decide

After his sudden death earlier this year, it felt right to get it done as soon as I could
Image Credit: http://www.citizen.co.za/938406/938406/

You need to make sure that your tattoo is something you are 10000% sure that you want on your body for the rest of your life - you are going to be paying quite a bit of money as well, so make sure it will be worth it both financially and also in regards to your preferences. Don't just go on a whim or get drunk and decide, you need to seriously consider what you want to get. I have had two tattoo ideas in mind for a couple of years now, one was the one I got today, and the other is from a Studio Ghibli film close to mine and my sibling's hearts. There are so many options, you could literally get anything, I would advise you not to get the name of your partner or names in general because people can change but tattoos are there forever, and cover-ups can be expensive! Just pick something great and something you know you'll never not love and go for it! If you're unsure, talk to people, or maybe delay it until you are 100%, you don't want to make a hasty decision!

2. Research

Electric Vintage - Image Credit: www.karamase7en.com

This is so so important, you need to research good local tattoo parlours and ask around about where your friends, family members, colleagues or just people in general got their tattoos done. I looked at the Electric Vintage website and then spoke to people I knew like colleagues and friends who had been and they all recommended it very highly, but I found some other places that I was wary of and avoided, so it is best to keep looking around until you find one you feel will be able to work with what style, design and type of tattoo you want. Certain places tend to do certain styles, and artists work with different personal styles such as watercolour, realism, portraiture, scripture and words, line tattoos - the list goes on. Find a place or an artist you feel would be able to do what you want and check out their work beforehand!

3. Consultation

You shouldn't book an appointment before at least having a talk with either the artist themselves or someone who works where you want to go. Go talk through any anxieties you have, and if they are as nice as the people where I went, they'll be more than happy to help you out! I felt a lot calmer after having my consultation, and was eager to give them my money and to get the process rolling! 

4. Preparation

This is one of my new favourite pictures with two of my most favourite people on this planet
You need to be prepared, so knowing what a tattoo entails is key here - but please do not search the internet with questions such as 'will a tattoo hurt?' because you already know the answer, yes, yes it does. It depends entirely on the individual, those who have high pain thresholds have had no issues, whereas others have been in agony. I have a particularly low pain threshold, but I managed to get mine done in an area some people advised me against. The most accurate description of the pain is a cat scratching you over quite lightly, but if you choose somewhere where there is bones or veins etc, it may hurt more than a fleshy area - do not let this dictate where you go however, if you really want a tattoo somewhere you'll be fine with the pain because you'll know it'll be worth it! Mental preparation is key - I found my happy place and was able to (with the encouragement and hands to hold of my friends) to do it no problem!

5. Getting Tattooed

      

The process itself is fairly straight-forward, they use ink and a needle to leave permanent colour underneath the skin to form what is commonly known as a tattoo. It's really cool if I'm honest, and I am so happy that I plucked up the courage to go and get it done. Music was played when it was being done, and I found this a great distraction from what was going on by my ankle (and he had amazing music taste, I didn't mind him tattooing me to Foo Fighters at all!) Make sure that you have eaten a good meal before you get it done, as you will bleed (this shouldn't put you off, nearly everyone bleeds - it's part of the process and they clean it asap) and you will need to feel good and a good meal always helps! Listen to the tattooist and the aftercare instructions and follow them carefully too - it would be a huge shame if you went through everything to not look after it and end up with a nasty infection and yucky-looking tattoo!

The finished tattoo! I am in love with it already and I cannot stop looking at it, I am already excited to get another one soon!
Hopefully some of you found this useful, I wish I had seen more posts like this as I was rather anxious and scared about getting mine done today, but I can safely say I was over-worrying it in my head and stressing out way too much! 

It's been real,
B x



No comments:

Post a Comment